In a letter found in an abandoned farmhouse in the outskirts of Tripoli, former British Premier Margaret Thatcher’s Conservative minister, Lord Trefgarne, has demanded £1 million in “fees owed” for his efforts to advise Gaddafi regime’s intelligent agents prior to the Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi’s appeal case.
The letter was written to the overthrown Libyan dictator’s son, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, who is now wanted by the International Criminal Court for committing crimes against humanity.
In the letter, which was on House of Lords notepaper and dated back to June 4, 2007, a reference to a meeting in Britain acknowledged that the fee “may seem a large sum” of money but was the payment for “nine years’ work.”
In the letter, Trefgarne, who worked with Scottish QC Professor Robert Black to provide political and legal advice, said, “During the course of our conversations in London I ventured to draw your attention to the problem being experienced by Professor Robert Black and myself in relation to fees owed over a considerable number of years.”
The chairman of the Libyan British Business Council, who maintained that the bribe “barely covered expenses,” went on to say that, “The amount now owing following a small payment on account is 1.5m USD. This may seem a large sum but in fact represents nine years’ remuneration, no less, for two senior professionals and is measurably below, we are told, the hourly/daily rates paid to some others.”
The leaked letter showed the “entirely proper” arrangements including the circumstances of the time. Trefgarne also admitted that their cooperation with the Libyan intelligence services had begun as early as 1993.
As more and more revelations are made about the British government‘s links with the Gaddafi regime, the international community is growing more skeptical about Britain’s integrity accusing it of hypocrisy as it attempts to present itself as a supporter of human rights.
- Libya threatened ‘dire’ reprisals if Lockerbie bomber died in Scottish jail (thesun.co.uk)
- Gaddafi warned UK over Lockerbie bomber (independent.co.uk)
- Gaddafi warned of ‘dire consequences’ for UK if Lockerbie bomber died in jail (guardian.co.uk)
- Libya: Gaddafi warned of ‘holy war’ if Lockerbie bomber died in Scottish jail (telegraph.co.uk)
- Saif al-Islam Gaddafi ‘protected from assassination plot in 2004’ by UK police (guardian.co.uk)
- Gaddafi warned UK over plane bomber (mirror.co.uk)
- Libya: Lockerbie bomber Abelbaset al-Megrahi too ill to leave Tripoli home (telegraph.co.uk)
- Lockerbie bomber found ‘in coma’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Libya: September 7 as it happened (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sir Mark Allen: the secret link between MI6, the CIA and Gaddafi (guardian.co.uk)
And you still trust governments to look after you lol,